GUIDE: Shadowing and Volunteering

Monday, May 29, 2006 |

Peter Pan and his shadow had a somewhat antagonistic relationship. It made me want to have a shadow like that. Looked fun. Just don't have an antagonistic relationship with the doctor you end up shadowing. I
never got a chance to do it, but "they" say you should. In theory its
a great thing to do. It will give you the chance to see firsthand
what it is like to work in a hospital as a doctor. So try to shadow
the specialty you're interested in.

Now on to volunteering at a hospital. For some reason ADCOMS
absolutely love this. I've heard that it shows your desire,
compassion, and other qualities they are looking for. It also gives
you exposure to hospital life. Most people end up volunteering at the
emergency room because that's where the action is. I guess that's fine.

As you volunteer think about what you see. You might think that
volunteering is the most useless way to spend your afternoon because
all you do is sit around waiting to change the bed sheets. But at
least think about the things you see and hear. When I had my
interview with Loma Linda, I was asked about my volunteering
experience. The interviewer wanted to know what lesson I took away
from my experience.

Again, shadowing and volunteering are good in that they give you some
exposure to hospital life. But take advantage of the proximity to
doctors. Talk to them about medicine. Ask them for advice. Ask them
how they chose their specialty. Most doctors are eager to talk to
young people who are hoping to one day become doctors as well.

0 comments: