The Interview

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 |

Well, today I finally had the interview with Dr. Nyirady. If I had to describe it in one word, I would say that it went "unexpectedly." Last week I went to the Walla Walla College career center for an interview workshop. While it was geared towards graduating seniors looking for jobs, I still was able to pick up some great tips. Afterwards I asked the career center director for common questions asked during medical school interviews.

Although the career center director told me that it was just an informal interview, I still expected some of the common questions to come up during the brief 20 or so minutes with the Loma Linda University representative. However, as far as I can remember, there were only two questions asked: (1) What kind of experience do you have in the medical field? (i.e. volunteering or shadowing a physician) and (2) What kind of outreach have you been involved in?

Okay, I'll admit question #1 was expected. But I did expect things like "Tell me about yourself," or "What are you strenghts and weaknesses." Perhaps that comes in the formal interview conducted in the Fall? At least I hope so... I understand that #2 is a valid question for a school whose mission statement is "to continue the healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ, 'to make man whole,'" but I was expected more than just the two.

I wonder if my transcript sealed my fate...

0 comments: